Thursday, March 5, 2009

After much heated debate….


I have posted the following pork chop recipe from “My recipes” website not because it was a tasty success but because it was not well received. I’d like to say that in my house this is a rare case ;-) However I have also included this dish because I really liked the ingredient list and am confident when properly combined would produce a fantastic meal. I did however make some minor substitutions because I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand. Instead of grated fresh ginger I used tea masala and instead of 1/3 cup orange juice I used Welch’s orange mango juice. Disclaimer: I am confident these minor substitutions had no adverse effect on the dish and isn’t the reason it did not fair well. I swear!

As I tried to follow the directions half way through I sensed something was wrong. My onions weren’t caramelizing (and I would like to note here I have never caramelized onions before). Instead what I got was a thick, stiff sauce. Looking back I should have just used it as a marinade for the chops. Instead I tried to stick it out and follow the instructions. I also added a few peanuts becuase I thought it would enhance the nuttiness of the peanut butter. The flavor in my opinion was fabulous. It was everything I love about Thai food sweet & tangy. However I would make some adjustments if I were to give this another go ‘round:
1) forget caramelizing the onions (at least until I can learn how to) just cut the onions thin
and fry in oil until crispy. At the end I would use them as a garnish.

2) use the sauce instead as a marinade for the pork chops (or chicken, beef) and then bake
or grill.

3) ditch the peanuts

And if anyone can offer advice on caramelizing I’d accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Exotic Lady is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at myexotickitchen.blogspot.com.